Hope everybody is have a great 4th of July weekend and for those that have asked, I have not substituted watching Treme for MTV’s Real World: New Orleans.
Since my last recap, I have been posting videos daily over on Facebook if you want to take a gander. Those featured are Kermit Ruffins, Galactic with “Big Sam” and “Shorty” and a great solo jam with Stanton Moore.
Later this week, I will start sending out a newsletter and if you sign up before July 14th, you are eligible to win 1 of 5 iTunes or Amazon Gift Cards worth $25. You can sign up on the website or click on the Sign Up Tab on Facebook.
- “I wanted to punch the snot out of David Simon. And I wanted to kiss him stupefied for getting it so damned right.” (Pistolette)
- “In the end Treme will be judged as success or failure by those who job it is to mediate culture.” (Back Of Town)
- “Joyful Noises and Joyless Measures in New Orleans” (TruthDig)
- “In Pictures: Steve Earle in Seattle, WA” (SoundSpike)
- “A Sixty Second Chat with a Pine Leaf Boy” (Death Knell)
- “Allen Toussaint: hands that rock the cradle of jazz” (Montreal Gazette)
- “Kermit Ruffins, New Orleans’ Beaming Musical Ambassador” (Houston Press)
- “New Orleans’ own Trombone Shorty sounds off on ‘supafunkrock'” (The Grio)
- “Working for these people and being in New Orleans, doing something feeding the town, is extraordinary.” (Reuters)
- New Orleans Chef on Her Lawsuit Against BP: “I Am Just Angry” (NY Times)
Much Thanks to Watching Treme for the award. Still have not done my homework yet though.
The rest of the long 4th of July weekend it will be a funky time with Dumpstaphunk, who were featured in Episode 8. There were a lot of choices in videos so if you like this one, head on over to Facebook as I will be posting more today and tomorrow.
We start it off with a portion of “Meanwhile” and a great bass jam with Tony Hall vs. Nick Daniels III and Ivan Neville joining in on guitar.